Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Home Hunt and Job Hunt

Its quite a feeling to be hunting for homes and jobs simultaneously. Just 15 days left before I'm homeless and 30 days left before I'm jobless. so its a mad race to meet the deadlines. Home hunting is an experience everybody should go through. Its amazing how people try to peddle off copper in the name of gold. Tiny pigeon holes are being marketed as palatial mansions. And the owners demand rent as if they are doing you a favour by letting you stay there.

It really makes me wonder how the hell do people survive and live in Mumbai. its impossible (almost) to find a decent apartment for a decent price. No wonder slums seem to be growing everywhere. where the hell will the working class live if not in the slums. A cabbie once told me how 6 of them all cab drivers lived in less than 100 sq feet in a slum where they paid 500 rupees a month. No bathroom or toilet just a roof that could collapse if another Alistar Pareira struck it. He told me he could afford to pay 1000 bucks and share a small aprtment with 3 people but nowhere in this city could he find someone who would rent a tiny apartment to cab drivers. Where else could he have ended up.
I feel the same. SOme of them dont want catholic girls, some of them dont want non vegetarians living in their sacred homes. Many of them sell you a shit hole...
I dont have too many demands. No marble flooring, No french windows, no furniture. I could manage without them. . But even getting a roof seems like a mirage.

I've seen almost 15 houses till date. The journey it seems like its just begun...

And ya I've not even started the job hunt...... I will need therapy soon ( or maybe a long vacation.. away from this city)

2 comments:

Stray said...

"I dont have too many demands. No marble flooring, No french windows, no furniture. I could manage without them."

Ahem....any innuendoes here??

Stray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.